Monday, July 21, 2008

Non-Chlorine Pool Treatment

Q: I can't swim in chlorinated pools/hot tubs because the chlorine makes me ill, and damages my hair and skin. I have also heard that chlorinated pool water damages the environment when pools are drained into the sewer system. I recently moved into a house that has a hot tub. Are there any alternatives to using chlorine for treating swimming water?

A: There are several options out there that provide clean and safe pool water without the harmful effects of chlorine. Generally, these alternative treatments are cost effective, and they don't pollute the environment and harm your body like chlorine.

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best alternative choices for treating pools, but it breaks down really quickly compared to chlorine. Although many people use hydrogen peroxide alone, others choose to combine hydrogen peroxide with either UV treatment or Ozone treatment to make it longer lasting.

I have provided a few links that I think are helpful and informative. This is by no means a comprehensive article on hydrogen peroxide. It is just a jump start into the subject for those who are interested.

Article #1

Article #2

Article #3

The last half of this article is about H2O2 for pools, the first half is for your entertainment/education.

Article #4

No comments: